Forgetting names? Who is this person?


I forget your name because of the years they say. Bullshit! I’m 23 and I barely remember my neighbor's name. I am not the only one, since we all face the same problem when someone introduces us to a larger group of people. We can no longer remember people's names within a few minutes. I remember the details - what kind of shoes a woman had(usually tasteless), how someone smelled, or a piece of clothing. I forget the name get over it. It’s because you are either completely charmless, unremarkable or I just don't’ give a crap in that particular situation.

But that's okay. It is likely that each of us was already in a situation when you were somewhere and someone approached you and started a conversation. You know that you know the person and you have already communicated once and that there was no need for official presentation (where you would immediately forget their name again) and talk to him. Throughout the conversation, you are thinking about what the person's name is, and yet there is no real "trigger" to help you with it.

Then there is a moment that we all know. Someone approaches and you have the task of presenting people. I know how to introduce anyone, if I happen to know their name. The best solution is to make yourself French and try to solve the situation by starting with empty words about who is who. Of course you do not mention the name because you do not remember it. You force them to introduce themselves to each other and eavesdrop for the names so that you can finally remember it. To forget it all over again because you still don’t care.

Am I wrong? Didn’t that happen to you yet? I only have a good memory for faces and only when they are remotely pleasing to the eye. You see the case with faces is, you want to forget most of them. Names are lost somewhere far away anyway.

So, if I ever talk to you, I will most likely not remember your name - nothing bad is meant,
Names are somewhere in the background and do not matter. Only content is important.

And remember! If a name of an individual is worth remembering, you will remember the name.

Ziga.

Comments